Thursday, January 21, 2010

Making way to the festival

So it's week two and things are now really getting interesting in OSD600. Last week we were introduced to the two different types of developer environments described by Eric Raymond in "The Cathedral and the Bazaar". This week we were introduced to different tools and services that can help us on our journey to the "Bazaar". Tools such as IRC, mailing lists, public calls and Bugzilla are among the few explained and demonstrated. Personally I've never been one to get involved in mailing lists, use a blog or even utilize Twitter. However after toying around with a few of them my opinion has changed completely and the adamant anti-Twitter facade I once flaunted has pretty much vanished. As individual pieces I was unaware of how purposeful these tools could be, but after viewing a few resources this week its all coming together now. Something that stood out to me in particular was a quote that came from the "Learning to Be at the Festival" lecture by David Humphrey, he says "The Festival only exists if we decide to recreate it". The Open Source community is a strong embodiment of this festival and its community continues to recreate it. In essence the attendees of the festival are just as important as the festival; one cannot exist without the other. Should the community cease recreating and carrying on this festival it would only be a matter of time before the festival ceases to exist.

In due time I hope to improve my effective use of these tools as I would like to expose more people from my country to Open Source seeing that there is still a vast majority that are unaware of the impact that its having on all aspects of technology today.

No comments:

Post a Comment