Thursday, January 28, 2010

You would never have thought.......

By now I'm sure you're tired of hearing "Na'vi", "world tree" or just a reference to "blue people", yes I'm talking about Avatar. I bet you're wondering why I'm even posting about such a thing here just bear with me for at least one more sentences and I promise it will be worth your time. Suprisingly the Na'vi and Open Source have a lot more in common than we'd like to think, this is because the film Avatar was rendered by 35,000 cores running Ubuntu....yes it's not a typo or my early morning-half awake typing.

Weta Digita
l the studio responsible for the graphics rendering used a setup comprised of:

- a 2 Petabyte disk array
-10gbps networking
-35,000 cores (4,000+ HP blades)

and even with this setup for some of the sequences it took 48 hours to render the graphics for the sequence.

If you're interested check out the article/blog post by Dustin Kirkland. I think I'll stop there as it's really early in the morning for my tastes. Oh but class is in just a few hours....heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment